Thursday, June 9, 2011

strawberries and rhubarbs, oh my

a little birdie (my bf martha) told me that today was national strawberry rhubarb pie day, so in honor i decided to share my recipe.

this is adapted from an old "real simple" recipe, but my grandmother said it sounds like an old-timey recipe that her mother and mother in law used to make. good enough reason for me to claim it!

here she goes...

ingredients:
6 cups rhubarb, sliced
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp flour
1 tsp grated orange zest
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 homemade or store bought pie crusts, unbaked

directions:
heat oven to 375 F. in a large bowl, toss the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, flour, orange zest, cinnamon and salt. beat 1 egg separately, add to the fruit mixture, and toss everything again to combine well. fit one of the pie crusts into a 9 inch pie pan, fill it with the fruit mixture, and press down firmly. lay the second crust on top and press the edges together with a fork to seal. beat the remaining egg with 1 tsp of water and brush all over the crust. sprinkle with a little extra sugar and cut vents in the top pie crust. set pie pan on a baking sheet (it will run over) and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes. let cool for 2 hours before serving. delish with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream on top!

enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. YUM!!! Hey Laura remember the time that you said you were going to move to Italy in 2005? And then you did! Still my hero. I bet you're quickly following the generations of Jetton women creating utterly the best dishes ever! Tell Cindi I miss the bros...

    ReplyDelete